- ABV = 6.0 – 7.5% (Elevated)^
- IBU = 15-30
- SRM = 4-6
A moderately strong Belgian golden ale with subtle fruity and spicy yeast character and a malty-sweet flavour.
Similar strength as Belgian Dubbel. Similar character as Belgian Golden Strong Ale or Belgian Tripel, but a bit sweeter, not as bitter and lower in alcohol.
- Colour^ = Light gold to gold
- Clarity = Very clear
Key Aromas & Flavours:
- Malt = Low to moderate; grainy-sweet (honey- or sugar-like), slightly toasty or crackery
- Hops = None to low; earthy or spicy, if present
- Yeast = Low to moderate; fruity esters (orange, lemon) / low; spicy phenols (peppery) / low; perfumy alcohol
- Malt = Low to moderate; grainy-sweet, with a light caramelized sugar or honey-like sweetness
- Hops = Low; earthy or spicy
- Yeast = Low to moderate; fruity esters (orange, lemon) / Low; spicy phenols (peppery) / None to low; perfumy alcohol
- Perceived Bitterness^ = Low
- Balance = Malt is slightly more prominent in the balance
Finishes medium-dry to dry, smooth, and soft, with light alcohol and malt in the aftertaste
- Body = Medium
- Carbonation = Medium to high
- Alcohol warmth = Light to moderate alcohol warmth, but smooth
- Malt = Pilsner malt, plus pale sugar syrup
- Hops = Continental hop varietals
- Yeast = Belgian ale yeast
- Other = Spices are not traditionally used; if used, should be a background character only
A relatively recent development to further appeal to European pale Pilsner-style lager drinkers; becoming more popular as it is heavily marketed and widely distributed.
Despite claims of links back to 1200, the beer style was created after World War II and first popularised by Leffe.
Often has an almost lager-like character, which gives it a cleaner profile in comparison to many other Belgian styles.
Leffe Blond, Affligem Blond, La Trappe Blond
^Sourced from the Cicerone Certification Program’s International Certified Beer Server Syllabus (Version 5.0)
All other information is sourced from the BJCP 2021 Style Guidelines.
Discovering Beer is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Cicerone® Certification Program.
Brought to you by Beer with Nat